Steps for Planning and Participating in an Internship for Academic Credit
Want to participate in an internship? Follow these important steps – click on each section below (Planning, Submission, Participation, and Wrap-Up) to expand and view detailed instructions, links, and resources. Only have 5 minutes or want a quick overview first? Watch this Quick Internship Steps video.
Use this as your internship checklist!
The Deadline for Summer 2023 Internship Proposals is April 13, 2023 (All steps in the Planning and Submission sections should be completed by this date).
Typically during the fall term prior to the internship…
- Talk with your academic advisor and potential faculty sponsor about your intention to do an internship.
- Attend/watch prerequisite internship info sessions – “How to Receive Credit and Funding for Your Internship” is required for everyone doing their first internship, “Applying for Internships” is required for those who would like assistance completing applications, preparing a resume, writing a cover letter, and interviewing, and “Finding or Creating Your Ideal Internship” is required for those who aren’t sure how to begin searching for an internship. If you prefer to attend the live, in-person info sessions instead of watching the recorded sessions, register on our Events page.
- Gather information about possible internships (deadlines, requirements, etc.) and identify the positions for which you will apply. If you are pursuing an international internship, be sure to read the Guidelines for International Internships and be aware of the CIE’s February 15th deadline for approval.
- Prepare/polish your resume and cover letters, and prepare for interviews.
- If applying to UGR internships, obtain faculty pre-approval before you apply for positions.
This stage normally occurs during the spring when you’re applying for positions, accepting offers, and requesting credit and funding…
- Submit applications to potential internship sites by their specified deadlines (some may be in the fall term).
- Participate in interviews and accept an offer. A start date of June 1 is recommended for students requesting internship grant funding. This will allow time to receive funds and make housing and travel arrangements.
- Ask your internship site supervisor to submit a written offer using the Offer Form on BeyondBerea.org. This is a DocuSign form and it will be routed automatically to the Internship Office for review and preliminary approval and also to you for acceptance. Both you and your supervisor will automatically receive a copy of it via email. Look at your copy and make sure everything is stated correctly and keep it for your reference. If you are an F-1 student, the Internship Office will forward a copy to the International Student Advisor in the CIE. Note: You will not have access to submit your proposal (Step 6) to Handshake until we receive this Offer Form.
- Watch this video that explains the Agreement then initial and sign the Agreement as prompted. It will be routed automatically to the Internship Program office via DocuSign.
- Use the Internship Proposal Form or UGR Proposal Form to draft and revise the plan for your internship, based on the offer and in communication with your Faculty Sponsor.
- Go to Handshake > Career Center > Experiences > Request Experience
- Enter the information from the Proposal Form into the required fields as designated by an asterisk
- Attach the Proposal Form (after revisions are complete and you have faculty permission to submit – attach as a Word document).
- The Internship Experience Request will be routed automatically by email and approved online by all reviewers, and you can track its progress through Handshake!
(Note: Your site supervisor will not receive a Handshake approval email. They will show up as Pending in Handshake until they fill out your intern evaluation, closer to the end of your internship.)
- When the approvals are completed, you will be prompted by email to make an appointment to meet with staff in the Internship Office as the last step in the process. If you have requested funding, your funding levelwill be confirmed at this time, and you should be prepared to discuss your budget, showing that expenses are less than or equal to your funding level.
- Submission of the Proposal, electronic approvals, and the meeting with the Internship Program office should be finished by the April 13, 2023 deadline. Earlier submission is encouraged, to allow sufficient time for approvals and to assure appointment availability. Late offers will be considered up until the last day of classes, but funding will be delayed in this case, so that should be taken into consideration when determining your start date.
- Attend the required Internship Launch Party on April 20th at 7:00 pm in Baird Lounge.
This stage typically occurs during the summer term internship…
- Submit your journals to your faculty sponsor as specified in your proposal.
- Enter hours worked and obtain supervisor approval using the timesheet or app specified by the Internship Program office within one week of your last day of work, but not later than August 4, 2023.
- Complete the online evaluation of your experience by August 4, 2023. A link will be sent via email in late July.
- Submit a draft of your paper to your Primary Faculty Sponsor by August 31, 2023 or as specified by faculty.
This stage usually occurs. during the fall term after the internship...
- Revise and submit your final paper to your Faculty Sponsor, as specified in the Proposal Form.
- Do your internship presentation as specified in the Proposal Form.