The E.W. Scripps Company is now hiring a Digital Content Producer for our NBC affiliate, WLEX in Lexington, KY.
The Digital Content Producer manages all cross-platform content gathering operations organizes, writes scripts, and updates content on digital platforms with a primary focus on local websites, mobile apps, social media platforms, and pushing out web and mobile breaking news alerts. Responsible for creating compelling content that is aligned with and enhances the station’s and/or Scripps brand. This includes story scouting, field crew management and monitoring of scanner, digital platforms, and news email.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Writes and edits content including headlines, short news alerts and teases, enhancing content with outside links, maps, slideshows.
- Publishes and manages content on multiple digital platforms, including the station’s local website, mobile and social networks using current production and web-delivery tools.
- Assist in online coverage of major news events, breaking news and severe weather to ensure high-quality consistent community coverage online.
- Build out special sections and site features to enhance coverage and increase user engagement.
- Updates and interacts with fans/followers on social media.
- Anchor/host content for digital platforms as assigned
- Coordinate with editorial and technical staff to facilitate the migration of multimedia content to new media platforms, including video, audio, still photos and graphics.
- Work with other departments, including sales and marketing, as needed on-site and/or station initiatives that require content integration.
- Optimizes the user experience by tracking live web metrics and user experience best practices.
- Applies SEO best practices to every piece of content.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- BS/BA in related discipline or commensurate experience.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in content gathering and/or distribution background. Preferred focus in digital media, content management systems, basic HTML, image editing, web and TV-style writing and social networking.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Must have a strong desire to create web-based content.
- Must have strong newspaper-style writing, editing and headline skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and social media communication skills.
- Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem-solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations.
- Thinks strategically to be competitive and innovative in a crowded marketplace. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems.
- Operates with considerable latitude; independently performs assignments to results expected; determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Working knowledge of industry technologies and practices.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, social media programs and newsroom computer systems, including ENPS.
- Ability to collaborate well in a team and make decisions quickly during any type of coverage.
- Ability to work independently, and effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment by remaining calm under pressure.