Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a Bat Biologist/Field Coordinator in our Cheyenne, WY office. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to basic research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry and other organizations.
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Generous paid leave
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Life insurance, LTD and AD&D
- SEP IRA
- Employee owned/Shareholder potential
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
WEST has numerous projects underway and continuing to grow and expand within the renewable markets. WEST is seeking self-motivated candidates who possess the following:
- Experience with western bat species, preferably in qualitative acoustic identification of western bats
- Experience using acoustic analysis software (i.e. Kaleidoscope, Analook, SonoBat)
- Experience with both deploying and troubleshooting bat acoustic equipment
- Familiar with state or federal permitting processes especially in relation to bat surveys preferred but not required
- Experienced in technical writing and managing field work for multiple projects
- Ability to effectively train, lead and supervise field personnel
- This position will primarily be office based but may require travel to field locations throughout the year and candidates must be comfortable and willing to work in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors.
Our Bat Biologists / Field Coordinators work individually, as well as with a team of natural resource specialists, scientists and biometricians to:
- Manage WEST acoustic detectors and surveys
- Assist in bat permit management –applying, amending, and reporting
- Coordinate field-related work for both pre-construction and post-construction renewable work.
- Conduct field-related work including: avian point count surveys, acoustic monitoring set up and maintenance, mist netting, and standardized fatality searches (i.e., beneath wind turbines) to locate bird and bat fatalities, and scheduling and conducting bias trials for PCM projects.
- Conduct training for field technicians on relevant field protocols
- Organize and review field data
- Project tracking
- Draft technical memos, reports, and proposals
- Conduct other field work as needed and experience allows
- Provide quality assurance of data
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The Bat Biologist / Field Coordinator we are seeking has a great opportunity to help WEST take the next step in our growth as a full service environmental consulting firm. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in biological studies, natural resources, wildlife management, wildlife biology, rangeland sciences or equivalent.
- Bat experience, preferably western species, in acoustic identification or live capture
- Wildlife biology technical knowledge
- Strong, competent writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies
- Must be able to maintain equipment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral
- Good time management, project management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
- A track record of maintaining positive relationships with coworkers, clients or stakeholders
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive criticism
- Ability to effectively supervise others
- Ability and willingness to travel
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.