When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work. You’ll have the opportunity to grow and learn in a culture that empowers your development. We have created an inclusive, global environment that values the power of diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences to drive speed, productivity, innovation, and growth.
Our internship program will give you a chance to get real world business experience and build your network before graduation. We are seeking an energetic, responsible intern to join our growing organization. In this position, you will be expected to learn the ins-and-outs of our daily routines and procedures. You will focus on learning how our organization runs, and can be expected to gain valuable insight that can further your interest in your chosen career field.
Location/Division Specific Information
The position starts in May, paid working 40 hours per week through August. Opportunity exists for this position to continue through the academic year on a part-time basis to allow for class schedules.
How will you make an impact?
The EH&S Internship position provides an opportunity for students who are currently pursuing an Environmental Safety and Health, Occupational Safety and Health, Safety Sciences, Safety Engineering or like engineering degree to get hands on experience working with and EHS Team in a fast-paced, complex manufacturing environment. The EH&S intern will contribute to EHS process improvement projects and advance best practices.
What will you do?
The Marietta EH&S Intern will assist the site in developing new JSA’s and reviewing and updating new JSA’s for manufacturing processes. Part of this project will involve working on the manufacturing floor with associates to observe and understand the work flow, identify hazards, and assist in developing protective and corrective measures.
- Work with associates and safety council members to create, review, validate and update new or existing JSA’s and PPE Assessments
- Assist with development of site training materials relating to JSA creation and use and PPE assessment
- Make recommendations and observations as appropriate throughout the process
- Perform Ergonomic Assessments and New Equipment Installation Safety Reviews
- Participate in leadership reviews and daily report-outs with the site management team
- Assist with updates of Energy Control Procedures (Lockout-Tagout), time permitting
- Some technical writing experience preferred
- Some hazard identification and risk analysis experience preferred
- Some experience in developing Job Safety Analyses
- Some ergonomic assessment knowledge and experience preferred
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Desire to contribute and improve safety for employees, visitors and vendors
- Exceptional customer focus
- Desire to teach employees about safety related topics
- Familiarity with OSHA regulations, especially Personal Protective Equipment, Hazard Communication, Machine Safeguarding, Hand and Power Tool Safety, and Electrical Safety
- Ability to communicate professionally with a cross functional team verbally and in writing
- Ability to perform safety hazard and risk analysis and recommend effective preventative measures
How will you get here?
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to a degree in a Safety Sciences or related discipline
- General OSHA requirements for General Industry
- General manufacturing knowledge preferred
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!