As JDC’s Communications and Marketing Manager, you’ll have the unique opportunity to help position a global Jewish humanitarian organization across the broad spectrum of global media and public audience. This role will also serve as point on the daily promotion of JDC’s global humanitarian aid program in 70 countries worldwide. They will proactively engage with reporters and media professionals, cultivating relationships and securing coverage amplifying JDC’s work and mission. They’ll strengthen and broaden JDC’s public profile through strategic, multi-channel activations and campaigns; influencer engagement and management; and development of sponsored and JDC-owned content, including social media.
Thinking about applying?
Frequently cited statistics show that historical biases in hiring lead to fewer applications from underrepresented groups due to a false perception that they must meet 100% of the qualifications. We encourage you to break that statistic and apply if you meet a majority of the requirements. We look forward to your application.
What will you do as a Communications and Marketing Manager?
- In conjunction with Senior Director, Global Communications, draft media releases, media alerts, pitch letters, letters to the editor, op-eds, feature stories, and ad content daily.
- Own and direct JDC’s public relations efforts across various media channels, including but not limited to general and Jewish news outlets.
- In conjunction with Managing Director of Marketing and Communications, manage JDC’s influencer engagements through the lifecycle of the activation – including identifying talent, cultivation, research, management, contracting, and deliverable development, all while ensuring compliancy with JDC’s media policy.
- Balance proactive management of Marketing and Communications with more urgent pivots to address real-time developments
- Create timely and appropriate content for JDC’s social media channels and liaise with social media staff to ensure appropriate messaging and tone.
- Manage JDC’s special campaigns and sponsored content, including supplements, holiday campaigns, special events like concerts, influencer activations, etc.
- Identify and build relationships with relevant media outlets, influencers, public figures, decision makers, and partners.
- Serve as a key member of the MarCom content team – proposing, supporting, and developing content including sponsored content, videos, blogs, e-newsletters, online advertorials, emails, and ads, as needed. Translate JDC’s complex work into compelling, practical marketing language for the appropriate target audiences in alignment with broader strategy and key brand goals.
- Maintain online and print clips as they occur to inform future strategy and enhance media outreach opportunities.
- Assist in maintaining current media lists.
What qualifications are required to be our Communications and Marketing Manager?
- 7+ years of public relations, public affairs, marketing, and/or journalism experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (journalism, marketing, PR) or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of public relations strategy, crisis communications, social media, marketing, and related skill sets
- Strong news media contact list and celebrity/influencer engagement experience required
- Familiarity with international affairs, Jewish organizational and community life, and/or global development trends
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability and initiative to produce accurate and well-written documents as well as shorter-form marketing content including social media posts, marketing emails, and ads
- Strong relational skills and ability to interact respectfully and effectively with a variety of people from different countries
- Knowledge of different cultures, the diversity of Jewish community life, and various outlooks on issues facing the community
- Strong judgement and sensitivity, understanding of how to frame issues neutrally per JDC’s non-partisan and non-denominational stance
- Adaptability to address real-time developments
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to assess and assimilate information from a variety of sources
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task
- Ability to read words and numbers, operate a computer keyboard and other office equipment, and communicate in person or over the telephone
Additional Preferred Skills and Competencies:
- Video editing skills strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Russian, Hebrew, Spanish, and/or French is a plus, but not a requirement
- Passion for humanitarian work and/or global Jewish service strongly preferred
- Employment Type: Full-Time
- Hours: 35 hours/week, 8:45 AM – 4:45PM with a 1-hour lunch break; Work nights and weekends when the need arises, as required by the 24/7 news cycle
- Location: Hybrid from New York, NY; in-office Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Reports to: Senior Director, Global Communications and Managing Director, Marketing and Communications
- Job Function/Department: MarCom
What are the compensation and benefits for a Communications and Marketing Manager?
This is a full-time position paid semi-monthly at a salary of $90,000-$100,000 per year; in determining where a candidate falls in that range JDC considers several factors, including skills and experience, internal equity, and cost of living in location of work. This role is exempt per the FLSA.
We offer an excellent benefits package, including but not limited to:
- 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employee coverage
- Paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 20 sick days, 3 personal days, 10 national holidays, and up to 14 Jewish holidays depending on the Jewish calendar for any given year
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for full-time staff who have worked with JDC for at least 1 year
- 403(b) with JDC contributions of 6.5% of salary
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), commuter benefits, and life insurance
- Learning & Development: Ongoing opportunities for professional development through workshops and trainings with our internal L&D program
- Food Perks: Bagel Thursdays and beverages/snacks in the office for on-site and hybrid employees
Why work at JDC?
- The People – What we hear most from our team members is that they enjoy working with others who share their passion for doing good; Our staff aim to use their skills to make a positive difference in the lives of others
- A Global Environment – you will have the opportunity to develop a global perspective, working with staff from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and all over the world
- Tikkun Olam – This Jewish value of “repairing the world” is deeply important to us. Collectively we are dedicated to making a positive impact on the lives of others
We require that individuals who travel internationally on JDC’s behalf be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the CDC definition. This position requires international travel and we require the individual in this role to be fully vaccinated by their first day of work and to maintain that status.
Equal Employment Opportunity
JDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As the world’s leading global Jewish humanitarian organization, we are committed to treating people with compassion and respect. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Submit your resume and portfolio here.
Portfolios should include samples of press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, social posts, and blogs. Please note that portfolios are required, and applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
Application Deadline: Rolling
Expected Start Date: October or ASAP
JDC — the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or “The Joint” — is the leading Jewish humanitarian organization, working in 70 countries to lift lives and strengthen communities. We rescue Jews in danger, provide aid to vulnerable Jews, develop innovative solutions to Israel’s most complex social challenges, cultivate a Jewish future, and lead the Jewish community’s response to crises. For over 100 years, our work has put the timeless Jewish value of mutual responsibility into action, making JDC essential to the survival of millions of people and the advancement of Jewish life across the globe.
For more information, please visit www.JDC.org.