Scope & Purpose
The Event Manager is an integral part of the Goodness team, assisting in the coordination and execution of events at Community First! Village. The Event Manager will work to steward and strengthen the overall event experience for all guests, donors, and volunteers. This role plays a key role in promoting the mission and vision of MLF to the public, as we empower people into a lifestyle of service with the homeless.
This is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Chief Goodness Officer and working closely with the Relationships & Giving and Stewardship Departments. This position will have frequent weekend and evening requirements that align with the events schedule of the organization. The Event Coordinator will office at Community First! Village located at 9301 Hog Eye Road, Austin, TX 78724.
Duties & Responsibilities
· Serve as the lead individual responsible for planning, logistics, execution, and follow-up for all internally planned special events at Community First! Village
· Steward and cultivate relationships with vendors, clients, donors, volunteers, etc.
· Work to increase the level of hospitality across all events
· Work to maximize neighbor engagement and dignified income opportunities during events
· Lead out on implementation and management of project management software for events across the organization ex. Planning Pod, Asana, Eventbrite
· Partner with the Goodness Team in events focusing on, but not limited to Volunteers, Donors, Cinema, Education, etc.
· Coordinate with the communications team on logistics, publicity, including public relations, advertising and collateral material design, production, and distribution for special events
· Coordinate with all programs and staff, and delegate event roles and responsibilities accordingly
· Develop and work within event budgets
· Manage all calendars that are associated with events and shared spaces at CF!V
· Ensure that all event program activities operate consistently and ethically within MLF’s mission and values and in accordance with MLF policies and procedures
· Act as primary point of contact for private clients looking to host an event at Community First! Village
· Other Duties & Responsibilities as needed
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
· Committed and passionate about serving those who have experienced homelessness and personal alignment with MLF’s vision, mission, core values, and goals
· Knowledgeable about the nonprofit/social sector
· Experience managing cross-functional teams using project management software; experience with Asana, Salesforce, Planning Pod, Eventbrite, Form Assembly, a plus
· Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work, and has experience leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact
· Strong relationship builder with experience in leading diverse work teams and engaging community partners
· Ability to remain poised under pressure
· Excellent listening skills
· Must be proficient in the use of technology, including Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Mail and Drive, and Dropbox
· Ability to manage multiple tasks, priorities, and events simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
· Ability to strategically prioritize projects and responsibilities
· Collaborates well with internal and external stakeholders
· Excellent organizational/project management skills with a particular focus on managing details and meeting deadlines
· Demonstrates initiative and follow through on assignments; self-motivated and goal oriented
· Professional written and verbal communication skills, outstanding customer service skills
· Ability to work independently on projects with minimal supervision
· Very strong attention to detail
· Strong interpersonal skills and confidence speaking with diverse populations and representing agency in the community
· Ability to maintain confidentiality of all internal donor and client information
· Ability to creatively problem solve
· Ability to respond with sensitivity and awareness to those with diverse cultural, ethnic, social backgrounds, values, attitudes and languages
· Effective team player across departments and the organization
We empower communities into a lifestyle of service with the homeless.
We provide food and clothing, cultivate community, and promote dignity to our homeless brothers and sisters in need.
The vision is supported by core values centered on our belief that homelessness is the result of a profound, catastrophic loss of family:
● God, infinitely perfect and blessed in himself, in a plan of sheer goodness freely created man to make him share in his own blessed life
● By virtue of being created by God in His image, we are all called to live in community and relationship with Him through each other
● The family is the original cell of social life
● You shall love your neighbor as yourself
● All members of the human family are equal in dignity
● The Lord God took the man and settled him in the Garden of Eden to cultivate and care for it. Gen 2:15
● Transform the way people view the stereotype of those who find themselves homeless
● To reconnect the homeless to self, family and community
● Help the chronically homeless rediscover and utilize their God-given talents to do purposeful work
● To connect human to human, heart to heart through the fellowship of food and hospitality
● Inspire people into a lifestyle of abundance by giving their best first
These Guiding Principles are the basis upon which MLF team members make decisions, plan strategies, and interact with each other and our community. The principles define the kind of leaders we are striving to be.
Yes, and…Positive Attitude
● Looks for the positive in any situation
● Begins with yes, and looks for positive possibilities from a proposed idea
● Has a generally positive attitude
Semper Gumby (flexible/adaptable)
● Adapts to big & small change well
● Can formulate alternative plans when things change
● Is teachable (learns from others) and willing to change
● Develops numerous strong relationships with staff, neighbors & volunteers
● Shows humility in his/her servant leadership
● Looks for the good in others. Assumes the best in other’s intentions
● Treats others with love & respect, including when talking about them to others
● Works to proactively resolve conflict with others, goes directly to the person
● Puts MLF above himself/herself and his or her program
● Depends on others to help with solutions
● Brings strengths of the team together
● Keeps others informed of things going on in their program
● Communicates effectively to staff, neighbors & volunteers
● Resolves conflict well & in a timely manner
● Delegates effectively to staff, contractors & volunteers
● Invests in developing staff, contractors & volunteers
● Empowers staff, contractors & volunteers so that their talents & ideas are unleashed
● Stewards MLF physical resources (money, land, equipment, etc.) well
● Stewards MLF human resources well (staff, volunteers, donors, neighbors, & board)
● Takes care of oneself physically, mentally, emotionally & spiritually
● Sets reasonable deadlines & meets them consistently
● Keeps others informed if they will not meet a deadline
● Comes on time & prepared for meetings
MLF is a faith-based organization with its ideals and philosophy coming directly from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
MLF is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen based on ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, genetics, disability, marital status, or sexual orientation in accordance with federal and state law.
It is important for all applicants to understand that Mobile Loaves & Fishes is an essential business that provides food, shelter, and other necessities of life for our neighbors who have experienced homelessness. We strive to joyfully maintain these essential services to those that are most in need in our community. All employees of Mobile Loaves & Fishes are expected to work onsite to maintain the essential functions of the organization. All applicants should be aware of our essential business classification before applying for open positions.