Housing Counseling Services (HCS) seeks a Tenant Organizer (Salary 50K-70K) who is an energetic self-starter to provide outreach, training, and technical assistance to low and moderate-income District tenants. The Tenant Organizer will join a dynamic team of co-workers who seek to empower low and moderate-income tenants through education and outreach. The Tenant Organizer will provide technical assistance to tenants so that they understand their rights and opportunities and can make their own informed housing choices.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Provide ongoing technical assistance to tenants and tenant associations who seek to preserve their rights, form tenant associations, purchase their buildings, partner with developers, improve housing conditions, preserve housing affordability and subsidies.
- Conduct outreach in buildings throughout DC where tenants are at risk for displacement.
- Provide trainings on tenant rights and responsibilities, forming a tenant association, the tenant purchase process, developing partnerships, selecting development partners and other topics.
- Engage partners including property owners, management companies, developers, attorneys, lenders, inspectors, and government officials;
- Flexible hours that require evening meetings at approximately four days a week.
· Must be dynamic, flexible, self-directed, a capable multi-tasker, collaborative/team-focused, and have excellent analytical and public speaking skills;
· Commitment to affordable housing, social justice, and community education;
· Background in, or experience with, community development, affordable housing, at-risk populations, organizing and/or anti-poverty work;
· Experience in providing direct services to low-income individuals and families;
· Sensitivity to needs within the community and to individual clients;
· Ability to translate technical information into layman’s terms;
· Ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of people including lenders, developers, landlords, attorneys, public officials, and low-income individuals from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
· Comfortable working in conflict situations and being out of the office in neighborhoods throughout DC;
· Fluency in Spanish a plus! Other language skills are appreciated.
HOW TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.