Full-time, seasonal (May 27 – August 6, 2022)
$280-$360 per week, DOE
FREE Room and board, plus farm-to-table meals in our dining hall included
About Us: Gwynn Valley is a co-ed residential summer camp located just outside of Brevard, North Carolina. We offer a farm, wilderness and traditional program that nurtures each camper while fostering a connection with the land and the simple joys of childhood. Our core values are simplicity, acceptance, appreciation of the natural world, and a non-competitive program. Gwynn Valley is a child-centered world where each camper learns and grows under the guidance of a mature and caring staff. We hire creative, fun, inspiring individuals who are passionate about working with children and have strong character and leadership skills.
About the Position: Cabin Counselors live and work at the heart of camp – in the cabin! You and one other co-counselor will be responsible for a group of 8-10 campers. Cabin Counselors work in our Main Camp program with children between the ages of 5 and 13. During daily activity times, you will help teach in an assigned activity area, and during down-times and evenings you will supervise your cabin group. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with a co-counselor to create a safe, inclusive, and fun environment for your cabin group
- Attend to the physical, psychological, and emotional safety of the children in your care
- Utilize appropriate and consistent behavior management strategies
- Assist campers with daily routines such as wake-up, cabin chores, personal hygiene, and bedtime.
- Supervise your campers while in the cabin, during transitional times, shower/changing times, rest hour, evenings, and cabin-specific activities
- Plan and conduct a cabin campout night (in a shelter on camp property) and other cabin activities such as picnics, hikes, tubing trips, etc.
- Teach or assist in a designated activity area during daily activity times
- Participate in camp-wide activities, traditions, and evening programs
- Participate in the rotation of community chores to help keep camp running smoothly
About you: You might be a great fit for a cabin counselor role if…
- You are at least 19 years old OR will have completed your first year of college by the summer
- You are able to communicate appropriately and respectfully with children AND adults, and can adapt to various age-appropriate communication and instruction styles for campers.
- You are adaptable and excited to learn new skills
- You have experience working with children between the ages of 6 and 13 OR have a strong desire to do so
- You enjoy spending time outside and are comfortable living in a rustic setting
- You are willing to put in hard work and take your job seriously
- You know when to be silly, playful, and fun!
What you’ll get: Working at camp is a skills-building, life-changing opportunity! Here are just some of the amazing things you can expect to get out of your summer at Gwynn Valley.
- Develop leadership, communication, problem-solving, and other “21st-century skills” that are transferable to any career
- Receive mentorship from a senior staff member to help you achieve your goals and grow
- Eat homemade, farm-to-table meals in our dining hall (for free!)
- Meet friends from all over the world
- Save money (free room and board)
- Explore the many opportunities in our area for hiking, camping, mountain biking, climbing, music, food, and art.