Want to make a difference on the big issues impacting our nation? Fahe is on a mission to build the American Dream in Appalachia. Our unique collaborative model connects a Network of local, regional, and national leaders working together to overcome the economic insecurity grasping at our communities. Since 1980, we have reached over 763,000 people with over $3.7 billion in investments throughout the region. The impact achieved by our Network of local leaders combined with our record of influencing legislation and boots-on-the-ground program expertise gives us a nationally-recognized perspective on turning back the grinding job losses and community struggles throughout Appalachia and the country at large. In our vision, our communities and economies work—with jobs, choices, and a good life for each of us, in our region and in this great country. Join us to make it happen.
Achieving this vision depends on our ability to recruit and partner with amazing people. We are collaborating with Fahe Member Clinch-Powell RC&D for an AmeriCorps service placement through the Appalachia CARES program. The candidate will serve with the Communications Team to develop and disseminate tailored messages to Fahe’s targeted constituencies. The candidate will work with smart, dedicated, big-thinking colleagues on making a difference in poverty and economic development in this country, receiving meaningful feedback and mentorship. The candidate will also have a view from a leading national voice located at the foot of the Appalachian Mountains, leveraging that perspective to influence Washington’s policy environment.
The Communications Coordinator, Appalachia CARES / AmeriCorps Member, is responsible for synthesizing needs on the ground into regionally significant messages and assisting in the dissemination of those messages to educate targeted audiences on the issues facing disadvantaged communities in Appalachia. The AmeriCorps Member will work closely with the Communications Director and will engage with key constituencies to advance this mission. This is non-partisan issue-based work, so an understanding of the limits on partisan political activities is essential.
Essential Duties and Functions:
- Build capacity for a growing Communications Department, researching new tactics, platforms, programs, and technologies and offering insights and suggestions for how they may be strategically applied to enhance communications impact.
- Draft compelling written content for use across a wide variety of digital and print media and coordinate across departments and around the Network to ensure consistent and impactful message delivery to appropriate audiences.
- Monitor earned media activity and compile information on timely topics and evolving media environments.
- Assist in day-to-day maintenance of various web and digital assets, including website content, social media, email marketing platforms, CRM and media databases, and analytics.
- Participate in meetings and strategy sessions to identify key issues and opportunities to build regional and political relevancy through targeted communications and compelling storytelling.
- Follow key developments in community and economic development programs, public policy, and regional current events that are important to our communities.
- Create written newsletters, op-ed drafts, blog submissions or other materials for constituent publications based around important Network and policy updates or regionally significant issues.
- Assist in content preparation and daily maintenance of our social media profiles
- Interact with Fahe Member organizations working on the ground in Appalachian communities in order to better understand the region, its people, its opportunities, and its challenges.
- Appalachia CARES / AmeriCorps program duties include, but are not limited to, a project designed around Fahe’s housing initiatives.
Preferred Education and Qualifications:
· Interest in working with nonprofit groups making a difference in Appalachia
· Ability to work well as part of a team and with a diverse group of people and settings
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Familiarity with social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn) and website development tools (WordPress)
· Self-starter, able to initiate and work independently
· Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
· Recent college graduate with 3.0 GPA or higher who desires to work in public opinion or political communications, economic opportunity, and/or socially responsible enterprises.
Service Term: 1 year, October 2021 – October 2022 (start date can be flexible)
Full-time: 1700 hours / 12 months
This position is funded for one year through the Appalachia CARES AmeriCorps program with an additional monthly stipend from Fahe. Compensation and benefits include:
· Living allowance (currently at $15,100, potential increase to $16,000)
· Education Award ($6,345 upon program completion)
· Relocation reimbursement assistance
· Health insurance and childcare benefits
· Federal student loan forbearance
· Competitive job edge for over 600 employers of national service
· Professional development training and valuable career skill-building
Fahe also offers assistance with grocery and gasoline expenses in a $300 monthly gift card allotment.
Note on Geography: This position is open in Bristol, TN, or based in the greater East Tennessee region. Applicants may choose to work from Fahe’s Bristol offices or be co-located at an alternative local East Tennessee office within the Fahe Network (as conditions allow).
For the past four years, our staff nominated Fahe as one of the top 100 Best Places to Work in Kentucky. Fahe is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking applicants who can bring diverse viewpoints, experience, talents, and culture to promote our organization’s mission of building the American Dream. We offer a diverse work environment with competitive salaries and excellent benefits. Visit www.fahe.org to learn more about Fahe.
Qualified candidates may submit a resume and cover letter to CommunicationTeam@fahe.org or mail to Fahe/ATTN: Human Resources; 319 Oak Street; Berea, KY 40403.