Director, Brand Communications and Visual Storyteller – Duke Health
Supporting the people and organizational priorities of Duke Health, the visual storyteller plays a critical role in telling our Duke Health story and deepening engagement with our mission, vision and values through compelling television, video, photography and web content. As a leader within the DUHS marketing and communications team reporting to the Chief Marketing and Communications Officer and to the Chancellor’s Chief of Staff, the visual storyteller engages the senior leadership team of Duke Health in a creative process to identify new ways to celebrate and honor the authentic human stories of our people, sharing their aspirations, challenges and impact. To support organizational goals and initiatives, the visual storyteller curates, shoots, produces and edits content, develops an editorial calendar, and sources, plans and executes deliverables in collaboration with internal and agency partners. The visual storyteller is a well-connected, people- and mission-oriented individual who is passionate about our employees, our patients and their families, and the community we serve.
Key areas of accountability include executive messaging and branding, video editing and production, web publishing, design, color correction, motion graphics, selecting soundtracks, researching stock imagery, troubleshooting technical issues, sound design, distribution of video deliverables, and proper acquisition and storage of legal documentation and other functions of the post-production process.
Duties and Responsibilities
· (50%) Plan, develop, manage, analyze, and measure major brand communications initiatives designed to support the success Duke Health. Provide leadership to photographers, videographers, animators, writers, designers and public relations colleagues to develop and create engaging multimedia content for organizational priorities that engages and inspires all levels of our organization. Provide strategic recommendations related to potential market sponsorships that are based on the maximization of sponsorship/marketing/brand investments. Where applicable, provide direction to marketing communications staff related to program development and implementation.
· (20%) Organize leaders and teams to document selected meetings, trips, events and engagement for internal communications and for the historical record.
· (20%) Conceive, write, shoot, edit and produce engaging visual content across all of our Duke Health mission areas: Patient Care, Community Health, People & Environment, Research and Education.
· (5%) Direct visual content for use with national influencer groups and community partners, including advocacy and outreach on the health impacts of affordable housing, food security, early childhood, college readiness and nonprofit capacity.
· (5%) Other duties as assigned.
Education: BA/BFA in journalism, communications, video production or related field. An MA/MFA or commensurate experience in health care or community-based organizations is preferred.
Experience: 5+ years of experience in visual journalism or brand storytelling with a focus on video, photography and editing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· A strong portfolio of visual storytelling on a variety of platforms
· Experience in photojournalism, non-linear editing, and content management systems
· Ability to generate creative, engaging, content-driven visuals and films
· Demonstrated news judgment, photography experience, and non-linear editing skills
· Flexible with schedule, reliable and dependable
· Understanding of the tenets of professional journalism and/or documentary photography and filmmaking
· Analytical skills to manage organizational needs, solve complex problems, conduct research, come up with creative ideas and communication tactics, and conceptualize realistic and effective messaging goals.
· Ability to work quickly and under pressure, including outside of ordinary business hours.
· A proactive and innovative mindset for finding unique opportunities to communicate with key audiences, reinforce key messages, and address employee needs.
· A hands-on ability to perform and manage diverse tasks.
· Ability to collaborate effectively with a range of different roles and preferred work styles.
· Ability to manage a large volume of work and competing priorities with resources from DUHS colleagues who have diverse talents and skills.
· Ability to thrive in complex, matrixed organization that values caring, collaboration and intellectual rigor.
Distinguishing Characteristics of this Level
· Adept at identifying and cultivating resources and expertise within the Duke Health and Duke University environment.
· Exemplifies servant leadership and demonstrates caring for all.
· Patient-centric in approach to decision-making.
· Advocates for Duke Health values and leads by example.
· Regarded as a trusted expert, consultant and thought partner for administrative and clinical leaders.
· Values learning, takes reasonable risks, and innovates professionally.
· Works cross-functionally with Duke Health and Duke University marketing communications teams.
Required Minimum Qualifications
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration, healthcare administration, marketing, communications or a related field is required.
Experience: Five years of directly related experience is required.
Experience in the development, execution and measurement of multi- dimensional strategic marketing initiatives. Key experience includes working with all levels of organizational leadership in the adoption of plans and tactics, and making plan course corrections as needed based on emerging information or market evolution. Experience with emerging marketing tools (ie. social media and customer relationship marketing) strongly preferred.