Breakthrough is looking for accomplished undergraduates to join our classrooms this summer. We seek undergraduates from all academic backgrounds – both those planning careers in education and those who are considering it for the first time. Breakthrough Teaching Fellows have a deep commitment to social justice and passion for working with our exceptional students. Our Teaching Fellows must be committed to personal growth and comfortable working in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
As a Breakthrough Teaching Fellow, you’ll join a supportive community where you’ll receive extensive training, continuous support, and the opportunity to lead a classroom. Throughout the summer, you will assume leadership roles and practice creativity, flexibility, and problem-solving. Under the guidance of experienced educators, you will work alongside other Teaching Fellows to plan and teach classes, manage a classroom, advise students, lead field trips, and develop as a teacher and leader. A summer at Breakthrough will help prepare you for a career in education and grow professional skills that will help you stand apart in other professions.
As a Breakthrough Teaching Fellow, you will:
- Participate in a summer teaching and leadership experience with a living stipend provided
- Develop skills in presentation and public-speaking, collaboration, and leadership
- Receive 100+ hours of teaching and leadership training
- Teach at one of our 24 affiliates throughout the U.S.
- Learn lesson planning, classroom management, instructional strategies, feedback techniques, and other essential teaching tools
- Teach academic classes and design enrichment classes
- Lead family conferences and participate in team meetings
- Receive regular coaching from professional educators
- Collaborate with other outstanding undergraduate Teaching Fellows
- Work with a diverse group of motivated students, undergraduates, and professionals in a hard-working and fun community
As a Teaching Fellow, you will teach at one of 24 unique affiliates, which are located in 22 cities across the United States. While each affiliate works to meet the needs of their own community, a typical Breakthrough summer will include:
- A nine-week teaching residency that includes two weeks of training, six weeks of classroom instruction, and one week of wrap-up and reflection.
- An intensive daily schedule, which often runs beyond normal business hours, five days a week and sometimes on weekends.
Breakthrough provides a living stipend for Teaching Fellows. Stipend amounts and limited housing vary by affiliate and individual qualifications. For a list of affiliates, including dates for each program, stipend amounts, and housing availability, please visit our site directory, available in early October of 2021.
Interested in learning more? Complete our Interest Form today!